Local Veterans Will Be Honored Wednesday
U.S. Air Force Col. Kurt A. Wendt and Mayor Dwain Morrison will join students and faculty members in honoring hometown heroes at a Take a Veteran to School Day program at San Angelo Stadium, Wednesday, Nov. 11, followed by a Color Run for veterans and students. The Take a Veteran to School Day project is part of a national initiative by the History Channel and Suddenlink, which provides cable services in San Angelo.
What: Take a Veteran to School Day
Where: San Angelo Stadium, Glenn Middle School, 2201 University Ave.
When: Wednesday, Nov. 11 – 1:30 p.m.
- 1:20 students arrive at San Angelo Stadium
- 1:30 introduction, Principal Karen Clark
- “National Anthem” – Glenn Girls’ Choir, Choir Director Carol Dewar
- military jet fly-over (tentative)
- recognition of Armed Forces, Mayor Dwain Morrison
- 1:40 marching presentation, GAFB
- 1:50 guest speaker, U.S. Air Force Col. Kurt A. Wendt, 17th Training Group Deputy Commander
- 2:10 military canine demonstration
- 2:25 essay contest winner presentation, iPad prize provided by Suddenlink
- 2:30 assembly concludes/ volunteers, students, veterans released for Color Run
- 3:55 final bell/ end of line celebration with color bursts, DJ, Army truck
Photos/ Cameras are welcome during the presentation. Photos must be previewed by school officials for student photo release prior to publication.
Interviews: Interviews available before or after event.