Local Veterans Will Be Honored Wednesday at the School
State Representative Marsha Farney and Suddenlink employees will join Williams Elementary School students and faculty as they honor local veterans at a Take a Veteran to School Day program, Wednesday, Nov. 11. The Take a Veteran to School Day project is part of a national initiative by the History Channel and Suddenlink, which provides cable services in Georgetown.
Take a Veteran to School programs provide a way for students to learn more about the history of Veterans Day and about the experiences of veterans from all backgrounds and walks of life.
Veterans will be honored with a breakfast at the GISD Central Office before leaving to visit several Georgetown schools. The veterans who visit Williams Elementary School will be greeted by students wearing Take a Vet to School wristbands provided by History Channel, faculty members and representatives from Suddenlink, who will honor the hometown heroes at an assembly.
What: Take a Veteran to School
Where: Breakfast: GISD Central Office, 603 Lakeway Dr. Georgetown, TX
Assembly: Williams Elementary School, 509 W. University Ave. Georgetown, TX
When: Wednesday, Nov. 11
GISD breakfast reception
- 7:30 a.m. A ceremony by the flagpole featuring the NJROTC Liberty Battalion Honor Guard and The Accidentals a Capella singing group will honor all veterans in attendance.
- Immediately following the ceremony, a continental breakfast reception sponsored by Suddenlink Communications will be held in the board room.
Williams Elementary School Assembly 9:30 – 10:30
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Posting of Colors, Boys and Girl Scouts
- “My Country,‘Tis of Thee,” all 5th grade students
- Guest Speaker, State Representative Marsha Farney
- “America, My Home,” all 4th grade students
“You’re a Grand Ole Flag,” all 3rd grade students
Introduction of Veterans, Principal Natasha Drumgoole, 3rd Grade Teacher and U.S. Army Veteran Hector Cortes
“The Star-Spangled Banner,” all students
Closing Remarks, Principal Natasha Drumgoole
- Pastries and fruit will be served in the library
Photos/ Cameras are welcome during the presentation.
Interviews: Interviews available before or after event.
Contacts: Layton Janoski firstname.lastname@example.org 512-931-2963