Outdated technology causes small business owners to focus their efforts on areas outside of their business
NEW YORK (May 4, 2015) – Time Warner Cable Business Class (TWCBC) has announced the results of a sponsored survey of small business owners in Austin, Texas that examines how technology is helping them grow and succeed with their business. Austin is a celebrated American city for its climate of innovation, its uniqueness and support of small businesses. It is a community that takes pride in their network of thriving, local businesses and technology plays a big role in their success.
The local Austin Small Business Technology survey was focused on understanding the challenges business owners are facing when it comes to adopting new technologies, network security and staying connected with their customers in today’s highly competitive market.
“Austin, Texas is the epitome of small business support,” said Maureen Link, Group Vice President Small Business, Time Warner Cable Business Class. “As National Small Business Week kicks off this week, we felt it was a great opportunity to shine the light on the great small business network in the city of Austin. Austin is known for its connected community and innovation, but our survey found that at times technology is a bit of hindrance when it comes to operating their business day-to-day which slows their ability to grow and serve the local residents.”
Austin, Texas small business owners that participated in the survey were able to identify key areas of focus for small business owners. Some of the key findings include:
Biggest Technology Challenges Facing Austin Small Business Owners
- 56 percent of small business owners that responded stated that keeping up with the latest technology and trends is their biggest technology challenge
- 41 percent of small business owners cited slow internet as their biggest technology challenge
- 38 percent of respondents say that securing their network from viruses and malware is their biggest technology challenge
Security and Storage
- 62 percent of small business owners in Austin, Texas currently use some form of cloud storage/backup technology
- 54 percent of small businesses leverage and outside, third-party vendor to manage their security network
How Effective Technology Helps Small Business Owners
- When technology is working effectively, 57 percent of owners reported an increase in productivity
- 46 percent see a higher rate of customer satisfaction
- Successful technology implementations provide Austin small businesses a 46 percent change of repeat business
- 75 percent of small business owners said that outdated, underperforming technology have negatively affected their business due to the time needed to fix the issues instead of working on their core business
About Time Warner Cable Business Services
Time Warner Cable Business Services, a division of Time Warner Cable, offers a full complement of business communications tools to small, medium and enterprise-sized companies under its Time Warner Cable Business Class brand. Its Internet, voice, television, network and cloud services are enhanced by award-winning customer service and local support teams. Through its NaviSite subsidiary, Time Warner Cable Business Services also offers scalable managed services, including application services, enterprise hosting, and managed cloud services primarily in the U.S. and U.K. Time Warner Cable Business Services, founded in 1998, serves approximately 625,000 business customers throughout Time Warner Cable’s service areas. For more information, visit http://business.twc.com.
About the Survey
Time Warner Cable Business Class conducted an online and phone survey small business owners across Austin, Texas throughRedshift Research. The survey, conducted in April 2015, asked a series of questions about how small businesses are using technology.
Patrick Paterno / Time Warner Cable
Melissa C. Sorola
Director, Public Relations