The cable industry substantially impacts the Texas economy by directly providing jobs and through its investment and innovation initiatives.
Cable by the numbers in Texas:
- 4.5 million cable broadband subscribers
- 166,170 direct and indirect jobs
- 18,520 cable company workers
- At least 300 employees in each of the state’s congressional districts
- $26.13 billion economic impact
- Over 1,000 cities and communities served
- Texas has the fourth highest number of broadband subscribers in the United States, trailing California, Florida and New York.
- Cable has more broadband subscribers in Texas than any other technology, other than mobile
- Cable is the nation’s leading broadband provider, with almost 70% of all high-speed internet subscribers.
- More than 90% of Texans have access to high-speed internet.
Job growth – in the state and nationally is predicted by cable analysts to increase:
- Cable companies are branching into new service areas beyond traditional video, broadband and home phone, including mobile phone, home security, home automation and even smart home insurance (Comcast)
- Cable providers continue to invest billions of dollars to upgrade networks and deliver new technologies to their customers. This requires additional skilled technicians.